Thursday, May 02, 2013

Meeting the 19 year old me....

So, I just got back into blogging. Spend the entire night reading my old posts. Cracked myself up reminiscing bout the past.

Here I am, 27 year old me reading bout 19 year old me and I'm going. Holy crap, was I like that back then?

So let's recap...

My first entry was dated 20 March 2004, 9 years ago. 18 year old me in my 1st year of Polytechnic. Joined The Singapore Polytechnic Taekwondo Club and to my understanding the start of a long depressing love story with a girl name Siti Zaliza Warti (Damn I still remember her full name). Anyway 70%-80% of the posts so far has got something related to her. 19 year old me must be really hung up on her.
Was digging up old pictures and I found this. The one and only pic of Liza I have left. haha

Then there are some really angsty, emo, depressing posts bout teenage love and all. Haha... as much as I hate to admit it. I was a really sick love puppy. But it's not all depressing, there are some nice instances. Like sending her home, our dates and stuff. Hmm, I wonder what happened to that valentine's Day rose I gave her? Haha I remember that day now after I had read the particular post. It's was a saturday and it was valentine's day. Just finish Training my NCC cadets and decidedly to meet up with her in poly (I think she was having some extra classes or curriculum) So there I was decked out in my smart No.3 uniform, because I remember her telling me she like a guy in uniform (Kinda cliche' i know right?) Brought a stalk of rose and presented it to her in the middle of Food Court 3 in front of her friends. Haha... it was a pretty embarrassing moment for both of us with the stares from the onlookers. But it was a good day :)
My TKD brothers and me at our favorite hangout place after training, The Old Clementi Fountain.
Top: Me
 Middle: Qaiyum, Mif, Usop, Hafiz
Bottom: Syahidin, Hairoul

Moving on... I realized that I really treasure my guy friends a lot. The numerous post bout our hangouts and escapades brings back good times. Mainly because, I think not having any other male siblings. I treated all my guy friends as my own brothers. Munir, Hairoul, Mif, Hafiz, Syahidin, Ramesh, Usop, Bob, Qaiyum and many more. Going to each other's houses playing Xbox, the sentosa trip which we almost explored the haunted house haha, telling each other bout our BGR problems, Budget eating (we would actually go to supermarkets and buy bread and spreads and have lunch outside Plaza Singapura, that's how budget we were haha) and etc.

There were other post bout other girls though besides Liz. Let me think there was Salmiyati, Lina and towards the end around 2006 before I entered National Service there was Idza. Ah yes Idza... Funny story.

Post dated September 06, 2006. My last entry before The long hiatus...

Remember the movie, Love Actually? The scene about the the guy who was secretly in love with his bestfriend's girlfriend/wife and finally when she found out bout it, on Christmas he stood in front of her door and did those signs. So yeah I actually did plan to replicate that scene but to no avail. haha.

A few days before, I actually walked from Tanjong Pagar MRT station all the way to Town via Esplanade, bugis, towards little India then down to Plaza Singapura and lastly towards Orchard. Crazy? Yeah I guess so... dunno what was going on in that 19 yr old head of mind. I remembered Idza mentioning she was looking for a book bout some Feminism stuff regarding her Uni work. So I remembered going from bookstore to bookstore searching for that book. MPH, Kinokuniya, Popular bookstore tried it all. (Now come to think of it why didn't I try Bras Basah Complex? inexperience... haiz) Anyway for more details bout that route march  check out the post entry "Pre-NS routemarch from Tanjong Pagar to Orchard...".

But yeah I did found the book finally in Takashimaya's Kinokuniya. (Wow really the lengths I would go too to please a girl). Planned to give it to her on the day before I was enlisted. But unfortunately she was in her dorm... hence the failed love actually scene. Haha pathetic I know.

Well fast forward to 7 years later... now I'm 27. In University and still SINGLE. hahaha. I seriously need to buck up the love department. Anyway, I've changed. I think National Service played a big role in the development and also being alone here in Perth, I had to be independent, more like forced to grow up.

But I'm glad I had this blog. Reading bout my past self reminds me of my past mistakes and lessons to learn so that I don't repeat them again. And my priorities now are to graduate, get a job and hopefully settle down. But that doesn't mean I've totally change. I'm still the same shy guy among girls. The same fun dependable Syafiq that my brother's can depend on when in need or the same hopeless romantic that would go to any lengths to please that one special girl.

So yeah I'm still the same except older, wiser and maybe much better looking... haha (Sorry 18 yr old me, Center parting is sooo out of fashion )
18 yr old me with liza sporting a center parting hairstyle
27 year old me now :P


= Without Wax =
   Spiderfiq

No comments: