Monday, January 03, 2005

Singapore 4-1 Myanmar

Hey people juz got back from the national stadium. Went to watch the 2nd leg of the tiger cup semi-finals between Singapore and Myanmar. Set out early to meet up with Munir and friends to book a good seat. Was hoping for the weather to be dry but alas it rained the whole day. Was soaked to my bones. Upon reaching the stadium around 4 plus went to redeemed the free t-shirt (which was the same as the old t-shirt given during the Singapore Malaysia game) but i needed a change of clothing so die-die must redeem the t-shirt. Munir initially didnt wanna change but since the rest started to change including me, he too joined in. It was a good thing that we changed coz the moment we step in the stadium, some guy(propably the chairman of the Singapore die hard fanclub) Invited us to sit in the members area right next to the cheer leaders. haha. and next to the cheer leaders were the Myanmar fans.

With the ominous weather, even before the match started, I knew something bad is gonna happen. True enough. Myanmar and Singapore fans were verbally abusing each other, way before the match started. Even the presence of the police officers did not deter us. So in the pouring rain we sat while waiting for the match to begin. Soon my father joined me and my friends. The moment the match start, old memories start to flood my mind. Scenes of the old malaysia cup came floating by. My dad and I would be among the die hard fans cheering at the top of our lungs for the Singapore team. Today it was almost the same scence except that I've got friends to share the experience with. Its been awhile I've seen my father so excited. It was as if my dad were the same age as me. Cheering and jeering at the same time. The atmosphere was fantastic.

The 1st half didnt go too well as we went 2 goals down to Myanmar. The Myanmar fans were estatic and taunted us Singapore fans. We tried to calm ourselves down and prayed that the 2nd half would be better. True enough halfway thru the 2nd half, Noh Alam Shah scored and thus leveling us thru aggregate. Then things start to get ugly. Myanmar fans start to throw OUR LIONS T-SHIRT into the pitch. I dunno how they got them, maybe they redeem the t-shirts also. But yeah they started the throwing. Drinks started to fly, t-shirts, flags and anything that they could get their hands on. The police had a hard time calming them down. Some of them were arrested trying to pick a fight. Since we were sitting quite close, we get to see the scruffle 1st hand. But soon the matter dissolved and focus our concentration back towards the game. Then came the penalty kick. Again the Myanmar fans start throwin and jeering. Even the police weren't spared being thrown at. Saw 2 Myanmar fans jump into the pitch from the gallery, 1 drunk Myanmar fan tryin to cross over to our side and obviously tryin to pick a fight. We too weren't really innocent. We taunted them more. Daring them to come over and fight. Once again the police had to ease down the tension.

When 2 Myanmar player were given the marching orders were cheered. Indra step up to take the penalty. We were getting ready to celebrate, arms placed over each other shoulders. All were silent waiting for the ball to enter the back of the net. Then Indra MISSED!!!! We were crestfallen. The Myanmar fans cheered and taunted us. But we were at an advantage 11 players vs their 8. We went into extra-time. The goal fest started. We were cheering non-stop. Myanmar fans start to leave the stadium. We were singing "Goodbye songs" at the same time taunting them.

Then the bottle throwing incident happened. Even my dad was furious. Myanmar subsitute keeper Tun Tun Lin were given the marching orders. It was the 1st time in my life I've seen a player given the red card when he didnt even step into the pitch. The final whistle blew and we won 4 goals to 1. Thinking that everything was over, I was wrong. It was the beginning of a huge fight. Some idiotic "skinheads" started throwing things at the Myanmar fans. The Myanmar fans retaliate. Some fans from the opposite seats even came running towards our area. It was like watching an EPL or Italian serie A match. Where the fans turn rowdy. Umbrellas flew, rubbish bins threwn into the air and basically anything throwable were flung everywhere. Luckily we were spared. It was only between the Myanmar fans and the skinheads. We then heard a fight had started outside the east entrance so were decided to wait awhile before leaving. My father offered to give my friends a lift to the nearest MRT station. Once we were out and into the safety of my car. I drew a sign of relieve. It was pretty scary being in the middle of the action. Anything could have happened.

Dropped my friends at Aljuneid MRT then my father and I head down to Adam road hawker centre bought some food and head home to catch the repeat telecast. As if we hadnt had enough. haha. Had a lot of fun. despite the hustle and bustle. SO yeah we are into the finals. So when Singapore plays either Mayalsia or Indonesia at the National stadium, I'll be there to cheer the lions on.....

Got to go now ciao...

-blog out-

No comments: